Volunteer: Costs: Fundraise to cover your costs
You can fundraise to cover the main costs of joining the volunteer program so your out-of-pocket expenses will be as low as possible. Buds to Blossoms will help you fundraise by setting up a fundraising webpage where your supporters can make donations to help cover your costs. You can also take advantage of the fundraising support provided on this website, including resources and downloads and advice on how to fundraise effectively.What costs can you fundraise for?
- participation fee
- travel insurance
- background check
- monetary donations to orphanages and other sites where we work
- ground transportation for all program activities
- a share of program overhead costs
- funding to sustain Buds to Blossoms
- ▸ food and drink (typically $15 to 30 per day, but may be $5 to $75, depending on your needs and preferences)
- ▸ passport
- ▸ airport transfers (typically $30 to $40, round trip)
You'll need to pay the above out-of-pocket costs yourself or cover them by asking people to donate to you personally. If you want to seek donations for these expenses, you can set up a second fundraising webpage on your own using a service like gofundme.com.
What is financial aid?
Buds to Blossoms provides financial aid to every volunteer who requests it. Financial aid is in effect a discount that reduces your participation fee, so that volunteers for whom this would be a hardship are still able to join the program. A space to request financial aid appears near the end of the application for the volunteer program.
Financial aid is provided on the honor system. Please only request financial aid if it would be impossible for you to fundraise to cover the full participation fee.
The amount of the participation fee depends on the number of weeks you join the program and whether you request financial aid. See the table below for details. Note that all amounts are in US dollars.
|1 week||2 weeks||3 weeks||4 weeks|
|With Financial Aid||$900||$1,800||$2,700||$3,600|
|Without Financial Aid||$1,200||$2,400||$3,600||$4,800|
If the US dollar is not your home country's currency, you can look up the official exchange rate at XE.com to find out what these amounts are equivalent to in your currency.
Use our fundraising goal calculator to find out how much you'll need to raise.
If you don't reach your fundraising goal...
If you don't raise enough to cover your participation fee, airfare, lodging, travel insurance, background check and visa by six months before the volunteer program starts, you'll have the option to do either of the following:
- Join the program anyway and pay the portion of your expenses you didn't raise. You can continue to fundraise before, during and after the volunteer program and get reimbursed for expenses you end up covering by fundraising.
- Postpone joining the program until you're able to raise the full amount.